Bristol Borough School District History
The Bristol Borough School District is located in the southeastern part of Bucks County. It is bordered on the east by the Delaware River and is surrounded on the remaining three sides by the Bristol Township School District. It encompasses 1.7 sqaure miles, with a population of approximately 12,000 people according to the 1990 Federal Census. It serves children living in the Borough of Bristol.
The Borough of Bristol is a historic community. It was first established in 1681. It has served as the county seat, a county trading center, and for years had a strong shipbuilding and milling industries. Presently, it largest employers include Dial and Simon & Schuster. Part of the town has been designated a National Historic Landmark. This area includes many historic homes dating back to the Civil War when Bristol served as a stop for the Underground Railroad. Bristol Borough is also proud of it's Riverside Theatre that stages many productions each year.
The Bristol Borough School District has a long tradition of providing excellent education to prepare students for vocation or further their education. The school district's first building was built in 1837. The district graduated its first class in 1883; the graduating class of 2007 was the 124th graduating class. For many years Bristol High School served as a regional High School for students from surrounding communities. There are many alumni who are known for their contributions to their community, country and their careers. One example is William Hanford, who along with Donald Holmes, invented the process of making polyurethane. Hanford graduated from Bristol High in the 1920's.